Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Basics

I love baked potatoes-- especially with steak! My wife makes the best I've had... she puts a rub on them that makes even their skin taste good. Mmm...

Restaurants rarely serve them steaming hot these days. I'm not sure why-- maybe a lawsuit someone won, or maybe they just don't care. This has even been true at some of the finest steakhouses around, so it has been surprising!

Last night We went to a steakhouse (The Hitching Post in Buelton, CA) to celebrate my birthday. I was so happy to see that the potato was steaming hot! The steak was excellent too... It was a great dinner.

What's Your Potato?
Serving baked potatoes hot seems pretty basic. It's a 'no brainer'! But we all have baked potatoes in our lives-- areas where we may have gotten a little lazy or stopped putting in that 'little extra' that makes what we do special.

I confess that I've been focusing on my baked potato for the last year. The Lord reminded me that an aspect of what he wants me to do as I serve others was a little off. My heart had gotten kind of lazy. I was still doing all the right things, but I wasn't doing them for the right reason. I've been working on that, and am enjoying the fruit of it.

The Reward
The best part, I think, of doing the right things for the right reason is that it brings an extra element of joy! Proof again that good is better, and serving well is worth it!

So... what's your potato?

No comments: