Many are asking me whether they should upgrade to iOS7 on their iPads and iPhones. Here are some quick observations that may help you decide.
- Things I Like
- Apple finally let us put Newsstand into a group and get it off the desktop!
- Apple now lets us set what day of the week we want to be the first day of the week in Calendar. I prefer Monday so that when viewing a week I can see the entire weekend. Previously you had to change the International Regional Setting to Northern Mariana Islands to accomplish that.
- The Calendar month view scrolls forward (down) and backwards (up), helping to see events in context better.
- You can now have unlimited Apps in groups.
- The iTunes song select no longer requires a search.
- Browsing restrictions can be a great help to keep inappropriate website from being available. And the setting impacts all browsers installed!
- Things I Don’t Like
- The Dock hides the bottom of the wallpaper. It would be better if it had transparency and size settings.
- Groups only show 9 Apps at a time in a panel (more than 9 Apps in a group generates a second page in the group). It would be better if groups had setting options of how many Apps they showed on a page.
- The Camera no longer has the iris close and open animation when taking pictures. That’s okay, but now there’s an immutable sound with every picture snap.
So I say, "Go for it!"