Monday, December 3, 2012

Windows 8 Pro Follow-Up -- I Kind of Like It!

That's true! I like it! But I don't recommend it yet... here's more:

I like how fast Windows 8 Pro loads. It is more nimble and seems to be as good as its predecessor, Windows 7 Pro. There's only one reason why I don't recommend it: the missing Start Button.

I said to a friend recently that once we solve the Start Button issue, I'm ready to recommend Windows 8 Pro. His response was: "Windows 8 still has a Start Button. It is just bigger. Press the Windows key or move the mouse to lower left corner."That's true, but it's so clumsy. Sometimes when on the desktop I can easily get the charms to show with my mouse, and sometimes it takes a few tries.

I get that Microsoft wants to have the same interface for all devices. I even think it's a good strategy! But getting to the Start Page (what replaced the Start Button) has got to be made easier than it currently is. Even making possible a simple shortcut that can be added to the Desktop Quick Access Toolbar would help.

Then I would endorse and recommend Windows 8 Pro.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss the start button but I'm a shortcut key kinda guy anyways so I've figured out the Shortcut keys that make my life better. Here they are:
Win + E still gets you to Windows Explorer.
Win + D gets you to the Desktop
Win + Q gets you to the Query window.
Win + I Gets you to the Settings menu
Win + P is good when you plug into a project or other screen.
Win + X gets you the fly up of the old start programs.
Win + L still locks your machine and Alt+F4 still closes windows -
Even with those keys in your pocket it's a bit awkward for an old Dog like me, but I'm getting there...

Nick Nicholaou said...

Thanks for sharing those, Ed! I think they'll help many!