Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Windows 8 Professional Testing

Clients, readers, friends--  and even family often ask me if they should upgrade to the newest OSes.  Windows 8 has folks talking, and now that it is a finished version I'm about to begin testing it.

A Bit of Perspective
I don't have high hopes for Win8, but will give it my usual objective attention. Why don't I have high hopes for it? I've been in IT long enough to have seen a Microsoft workstation operating system (OS) pattern:
  • DOS 3.x - great operating system
  • DOS 4.x - an operating system IT avoided
  • DOS 5.x - great operating system
  • DOS 6.x - an operating system IT avoided
  • Windows 3.0 (and 3.1) - great operating system
  • Windows 4.x - an operating system IT avoided
  • Windows 95 - great operating system
  • Windows 98 (and ME) - an operating system IT avoided
  • Windows 2000 - great operating system
  • Windows XP - great operating system
  • Windows Vista - an operating system IT avoided
  • Windows 7 - great operating system
  • Windows 8 - we'll see!

No comments: