Thursday, April 16, 2009

College Hunting is Fun!

This week is Spring Break for my daughter's high school, formerly known as Easter Vacation . She's a 17 year old junior, so this is our turn to look for colleges with her.

We've toured three so far this week (UCLA, UCSB, and UCI), and have one more tomorrow (CSULB). It is so fun to see her begin to think through what she likes and doesn't like about each campus! What a great time of life she's going to be entering soon.

I did peer counseling when I was in college, helping fellow students cope with various academic issues. The most common was the concern many had about changing their major. Very few people know at 17 or 18 what they want to do for the rest of their life; yet requiring someone that age declare their major suggests otherwise.

Our daughter is, like most, not exactly sure what she wants to study. We're okay with that, and are encouraging her to start her college career with the understanding that she'll likely need a couple of years to figure that out. We want her to enjoy those years of self-discovery, and to do so guilt-free. What a fun time of life!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I heartily agree! I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up and I'M 49. :) The joy is in the journey with Jesus, just go where he takes you!

You have a lucky daughter, God bless you and your family!