Saturday, September 27, 2008

Boy I Like My New Bike!

Well, good exercise is getting harder for me to get these days... and it's not just because I'm lazy!

You may not know that I'm legally disabled... according to the U.S. military and the State of California. My spine has fused itself at both ends, and I've had six knee operations resulting from a college triathlon injury.

I was, when in college I was a monster cyclist! But my triathlon knee injury was exacerbated by a series of automobile accidents where folks kept running into me (those wrecked my neck), and I couldn't ride any more. Then I took up surfing! But I had to stop that last year because it was bothering my neck.

Then I got to thinking... what about those recumbent bikes where you sit back, like you're on an easy chair!


So I started test-riding them at Richard's Bicycles, a terrific bike shop in our area that's great to work with. All of the recumbents were good on my spine issues, but the geometry of the RANS Stratus XP was also good on my knee! So I ordered one with an aluminum frame (aluminum frames are not only a little lighter, they're also stiffer so more of the pedaling energy is transferred to the wheels instead of being absorbed by a flexible frame).

I picked it up this week, and have already ridden it a bunch! I'll likely have more than fifty miles on it by the end of the weekend! Not bad for a guy who hasn't ridden in years! And my spine and knee are all feeling terrific!

Maybe this will help me get the exercise I should and keep me healthier. And the best part is-- it's fun!

No comments: