Saturday, January 5, 2008

Amanda's Going on a Mission Trip?

Our 16-year old daughter, Amanda, asked Grace and me to meet with her this morning to discuss her interest in going on a mission trip this Summer. She wants to go with AIM to the Amazon jungle in Peru! Admittedly, I'm a little concerned about her for safety reasons, but I think I'm excited about the possibility! I asked her a few questions, and I really liked her responses.

Why do you want to go on a mission trip?
Well, I'm adventurous, and I think that I might want to be a missionary when I'm an adult. I like trying to live my faith out in front of others so that when I share with them about Jesus, they can't say I don't live it. And I am empathetic with those in need... so I think I can help.

Why this trip?
The people are really poor, and I don't come into contact with people that poor. We hear about people starving in different parts of the world, but it doesn't seem very real. I want to go somewhere where the people are needy, so I can try to help them and be a conduit to them from God.

A Surprise Call
We had a few questions as we met, and I sent them to AIM via their website's link (Have questions about this trip?). Within minutes my cell phone rang, and it was a lady from AIM calling in response to my questions! She wanted to answer them by phone so we could dialogue with her. Her answers were very helpful, and she helped us feel even better about AIM.

ECFA
Amanda started us off by referring us to the ECFA website. She knew that ECFA membership was important to us since it means they run their operation with integrity. (What a smart kid!)

Well, we are praying that God will lead us strongly in this decision. We are also very pleased with who Amanda is growing up to be. What an exciting adventure the Christian life is!

No comments: